Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Some Math Homework Tips

Yes, I am qualified to help your child become a better reader, writer, speller, etc., but for my first blog ever, anyone who knows me will not be surprised to find that my topic of choice is math.  I LOVE math.  I love that you can approach any given problem from a number of ways, draw pictures, build models, use parentheses and fill tons of blank pages with numbers and symbols and circles, scribble stuff out, and get messy. 

Obviously, I know not everyone likes to nerd out with numbers like me.  I also know that for many families, math homework is a battle.  Here are just a couple of general tips about how to better help your child with math at home:

1. Let your child keep the pencil (pen).
Seriously, this is so simple, but it's really a big one.  Resist the urge to take it out of your child's hand, because now you're doing the math, and she's just watching.  A better approach is to either talk her through it while she works the problem, or (my choice) work the problem side by side.  This way, your child can see you model steps and thinking, but also gets to see the glory of numbers, and figure some stuff out along the way, too.

2. Wait longer than you think before stepping in to help.
One of my favorite parts of teaching is watching the wheels start to turn.  All I want to do is help, and this means I sometimes have to bite my lip, sit on my hands, or swallow my words because the struggling to make sense really is a crucial part of the process.

3. Listen more. 
Math instruction in many classrooms today is just different from when we were in school.  I get that as parents, you just want to help your children finish their homework, and get the problems done correctly.  Again, lots of math instruction today focuses on meaning and sense making.  Does your child understand what he just did?  Can he explain it with words or drawings or numbers?  So when your child comes home with a homework assignment, I suggest that you have a conversation about it.  Ask your child to show you a problem he's working on.  Have him solve it and talk it through with you.  Rely on logic and reasoning instead of procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment