Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Inside the "Reading Zone"

Reading inspires curiosity, education, and enjoyment. I never know which new book will drop me into the "reading zone," that space where time flies and everything else around me falls away as I enter into the pages of my book.  Sometimes I love a book so much that even though my eyes like to wander ahead to the next paragraph, my heart forces me to cover the page with my hand just to slow me down and keep me from finishing too quickly.  Unfortunately, not all kids have had this experience with reading yet.  Once they do however, they're hooked.  The secret is finding the right book.  Below you'll find a short list of my favorite books.  These are books that I read and loved as a kid, or are books I love sharing with kids.

Picture BooksThe Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown
Zoom by Istvan Banyai - A super cool wordless book
All the Alexander books by Judith Viorst
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day
- Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
-Alexander Who is Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
** Although great for both boys and girls, these are really good boy books, especially for those boys who despite best intentions, just can't keep themselves out of trouble!**
Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein  *Every time I read this book, I get a different message.*

Early Reader BooksFrog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel.  Love those guys!  Especially Toad who worries too much and takes everything so literally!
Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish
Zach's Alligator series by Shirley Mozelle

Children's Novels
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (If you checked my "About Me" page, you'll see this is my all time favorite book. Every time I read this book with my third graders I cried and they never knew what to do).
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Di Camillo
Tiger Rising by Kate Di Camillo
All Roald Dahl Books, but especially George's Marvelous Medicine
Fig Pudding by Ralph Fletcher
Out of The Dust by Karen Hesse
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stuart
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Links to Some Other Book Lists:

The Top 100 Children's Novels
The Top 100 Picture Books

Newberry Medal and Honor Books

No comments:

Post a Comment